The Le Roux Family came from the north of France and in April 1688 the two brothers Jean and Gabriel arrived in the Cape of Good Hope and were settled in Paarl on the farm La Concord, where the KWV is today, as well as Parys. The third born le Roux, son of Gabriel, Abraham, is the ancestor of this line of le Rouxs and was given the farm Klipdrift, later Goedemoed and later on Uitnood, by Simon van der Stel. He was the first le Roux in the Robertson / Bonnievale region.

After the depression Daniel Petrus Le Roux settled on the farm Angora which also consisted of a portion of the farm Kapteinsdrift which is on the Breede River. Oom DP le Roux (as he was known) was married to Bessie Schneider (Paarl) and they had two children, Danie and Martha. The Manor House was built in 1938. Oom DP had a great passion for horses and started Angora Stud. He was a very successful Racehorse breeder. Some of the more well known Racehorses which he bred were Rain Queen, Exise and Royal Pardon.
 

 


 


His only son Danie le Roux inherited this love for animals from his father. They were passionate Stockmen. Although Danie was a wine farmer and his father had the first Sherry cellar in Bonnievale, his love for animals was evident in his Dorper and Bonsmara Stud. After the passing of his father, he took over the Racing Stud and went on to breed Champion horses like Jungle Warrior, Mr Fabulous, Calvelry Commander and many others.

Apart from their love for nature, they were both dedicated preservers of their heritage and made sure that they would leave something worthwhile for the generations to come. Danie started with a private museum on the farm which grew into something really special. Eventually he acquired one of the most beatufiful buildings in the heart of Bonnievale and moved his Collection into town.

After the passing on of Danie le Roux, his only Daughter, Rozitha and her husband Bertus, took over the custodianship of this beautiful farm and the Museum. The farm has now been opened to the public as a guest farm and the Museum has been changed into The Museum Cafe, in order to invite more visitors in, to share in the beautiful heritage of our country and our town. During the restoration of the farm, it was important to her to keep as much of the old character of the farm as possible and to preserve, instead of replace.

It is of great importance to the family, that whoever visits this farm will have the same respect for everything they see there and to keep in mind that this must be preserved for future generations.

 

    Contact: 083 270 8490

Copyright © . Robertson Valley Technologies